Midlands PT Cruiser Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Error codes advice

2 posters

Go down

Error codes advice Empty Error codes advice

Post  Cruiser Phil Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi guys before I ask a question Ill give a bit of info:

2000 X reg 2 litre auto limited with 85k miles.

Two error codes displayed: P1390 and P1684. Engine light illuminates when ignition is switched on but then goes out. The light then illuminates once the engine is started and then stays illumunated. Car drives fine but occasionally overheats when reversing and will occasionally stall again in reverse only.

Fitted a new radiator cap and thinking of fitting a new thermostat next and draining existing coolant (water) and replacing with manufacturers reccommended coolant. Also thinking of replacing cam position sensor with a mopar part. I know timing belt and water pump is due at 90k miles.

Any advice would be much appreciated because I am making uneducated guesses really.

Cheers Phil.
Cruiser Phil
Cruiser Phil

Back to top Go down

Error codes advice Empty Re: Error codes advice

Post  Admin Sat May 26, 2012 12:06 am

P1390 Cam and crank signals don't match - has the timing belt skipped a tooth ?

P1684 The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. (Nothing to be worried about)

Admin
Admin

https://midlands-pt-cruisers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruiser Phil Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the info Admin. I too had found the same information regarding the reason for those error codes but thought I would tap into the forums wealth of information to see if anything different came up. It's good for someone else to confirm my suspicions.

I have phoned around various garages and have found one in Plymouth that will change the timing belt, water pump and replace all fluids etc (manufacturers recommended coolant) for £350 + VAT. The mechanic that will be working on the car also used to work for Chrysler and apparently has spent a lot of time on the Cruiser. Sounds reasonable to me considering what a pig of a job it is for a home mechanic. In your experience is this reasonable?

Thanks again, Phil.

Cruiser Phil
Cruiser Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruiser Phil Sat May 26, 2012 11:25 am

Forgotten to say it is due to be changed in about 4000 miles anyway.
Cruiser Phil
Cruiser Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Very good price, considering that the water pump and timing belt would cost around £110 to buy anyway, and changing the belt on the Cruiser is a pig of a job, and having an ex Chrysler mechanic on the job is another good thing .... just ask him to check the condition of the idler pulley ....

Admin
Admin

https://midlands-pt-cruisers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruiser Phil Sat May 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice and I will ask him to check the idler pulley.

Cheers
Cruiser Phil
Cruiser Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruiser Phil Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 am

Hi guys thought I'd give a quick update. Had my timing belt changed...engine light now gone out and car running like a dream!

Other problem was a binding front farside brake which I believe was causing the very occasional over heating problem because after having new discs and pads fitted along with the belt this has stopped happening too.

The car used to stall occasionally, rough at idle, sluggish acceleration, and just generally felt like the car was being held back. Now its all running well.

The timing belt was cheaper to get replaced then I thought. Ended up costing £360 inc VAT and four discs and pads £300 inc VAT.

Worth every penny.

Thanks to those that offered advice, Phil.
Cruiser Phil
Cruiser Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down