Midlands PT Cruiser Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P 0243 code. Please help!

3 posters

Go down

P 0243 code. Please help! Empty P 0243 code. Please help!

Post  John M Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi there!
My car is a PT Cruiser 2.2 Diesel, 2004...
The fault code shown is P 0243
The engine management light is coming on when I go over 60 mp/h on the motorway. Light stays on till the next day, than disappears.
While the light is on, the car won't go over 3000 rpm -sort of "safe running mode". The engine have no boost, suppose the turbo doesn't work properly or at all... Is there an easy fix to this?
Thanks!

John M

Back to top Go down

P 0243 code. Please help! Empty Re: P 0243 code. Please help!

Post  coke39294 Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi, new to Forum ,but did you have any joy with your problem as i have exactly the same faults and would like to rectify them as loss of power can be dangerous, it's also getting on my nerves,light never comes on if the other half drives car !!!

coke39294

Back to top Go down

P 0243 code. Please help! Empty Turbo pipe split!

Post  Croddlebopper Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:49 am

The problem you are both suffering is a split in the large diameter black rubber hose which you can see at the front of the engine.

The motor will run fine but will go into limp mode after continuous highish speed.

The error code you have is documented as a waste gate issue but that's incorrect.

The pipe is about 5 inches long and as it's made of rubber, splits over time. As you load up the engine the turbo boost increases and the split in the pipe opens and you loose boost pressure etc etc. A lot of people also report a loud whooshing sound which is the pressure escaping from the pipe.

Simplish to replace just tight for space

Original part was £30 probably cheaper now on eBay. Search for pt turbo pipe.

This is a notorious fault on the crd but at least it's cheap to fix!

Good luck!

Croddlebopper

Back to top Go down

P 0243 code. Please help! Empty re-set ???

Post  coke39294 Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:30 am

Thank you for that concise answer, i'll have a look at the turbo pipe , BUT here's the question, why after stopping engine does it re-set, i can perhaps drive 20 miles before it happens again.Also is pipe easy to locate ? many thanks.

coke39294

Back to top Go down

P 0243 code. Please help! Empty Error reset

Post  Croddlebopper Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 pm

The error code P0243 is a derived error and not an actual device failure status - by that I mean that due to the engine management requesting demand for boost pressure but the pressure not being sensed there has been an assumption by the ECU programmer that the waste gate must be jammed. That is probably the highest probability on the FMEA.

A more accurate error would have been "unexpected low boost pressure" and then we'd all investigate leaks accordingly.

For sure they could never absolutely determine a split pipe!

As the error is derived, the error status comes and goes so the only logical thing is to latch the error code whilst the engine is running and then reset when ignition is reset but store the event - just as well as otherwise we'd be in limp home mode until fixed. It's also logical to allow a cycle reset as the error condition is of no significance risk to engine or vehicle damage, just crappy performance!

You can see the vertical black pipe about 2 1/2" in diameter with bonnet up behind radiator but in front of cylinder block. There's not much space but it is visible

To change the pipe, the grille must be removed and the radiator dislocated from top fixings and hoses uncoupled then you can just about get to it.
Probably a lot easier to totally remove rad.

Take care to get the new pipe fitted properly and the clips in place as I must admit my first attempt was on to start with but the pipe popped off after a couple of days due to bad clip location.

Once you've fixed this you'll relish the return of the motor performance as it's been under par for a long time.

Good luck!

Croddlebopper

Back to top Go down

P 0243 code. Please help! Empty Top Man

Post  coke39294 Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Thank you Croddlebopper, a brill reply, i'll try replacing pipe when get chance, many thanks in anticipation of Fix !

coke39294

Back to top Go down

P 0243 code. Please help! Empty Re: P 0243 code. Please help!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down